Lightsaber

So, I've been seeing on my Facebook feed these different lightsaber building companies coming out with cool looking lightsabers. Not being able to afford one, I dug around and found one that I got at least 7 to 8 years ago, which came in a kit to "build your own lightsaber." It's nothing too fancy, but it still looks pretty cool.


So since I have this, and I learned a super easy way to add "lightsaber effects" to any picture taken, I decided I would do just that with a lightsaber toy. Be warned, this is really easy, but the hard part is getting the saber part lined up. Now, what I used is a scripture marker that I got a while ago for the effects which is pictured below. A colored pencil with the retractable lead will work just as well.


Now I'm sure you're thinking, how will that do anything with my picture??? Don't you just color with it? Yes, or so you thought until now. If you take out a considerable amount of lead, then you have something that looks like this.


The reason you want a lot of it out is so that your hand or the pencil don't get in the shot. You then position the lead where you want, in this case at the emitter of the lightsaber like so.


But that doesn't look like a lightsaber. Ah but wait my young padawan learner, this is just to show how to position the lead, which is pretty close to the camera lens. The real magic is in the flash of your camera. I used my iPod Touch 5 with the flash turned on. The flash will light up the scripture marker/colored pencil lead and make it look like it is glowing. When you do that, you'll get something that looks like this.


Now, this is a Paint.NET blog where I show off my works that I do on Paint.NET, so here's what I did on there. So this lightsaber has holes in the emitter and it doesn't look super realistic since light doesn't shine through using this method with this emitter. So I put it on Paint.NET and added a bit of white and orange in those holes, used Gaussian Blur to give it a bit of blur and realistic feel to it. Not the best, but here is the final product.


A couple of days later I did another one, but this one was a little harder to get right on Paint.NET since there are lots of reflective surfaces.


I hope you enjoyed this post! A bit lengthy, but hey, now you know how to add lightsaber effects with any camera that has a flash. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stone Head

Left Behind

Space!